Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A while ago (About 6 weeks) my girlfriend SH broke up with me. We had been going out for 2 and a half years or so and she ment a lot to me. We broke up because she is moving to Oregon and didn't feel as though she could carry on a long distance relationship. Also, and I might add seperatly, she began to develop a relationship with RW who is a long time family friend. (And actually her former babysitter!) For a while I tricked myself into thinking that SH would wake up from her dreams of RW and come back to me, realizing that I am obviously the best choice. Now after a perliminary trip to Oregon SH decided that her and I getting back togeather was at 0 percent. This wasn't a shock to me, I knew all along that SH wouldn't have made this decssion on a whim, and that she was going to go through with it no matter how unfair or stupid it may have seemed to me. I appriciate the mannor in which she handled this entire process making it very easy for me to reach the point where I am now, that being, acceptance.

My feeling coming away from this is that SH and I were in love. Now that seems very dramatic, but I feel as though the term "love" isn't understood by most people. Love occurs in a relationship when the two people are involved are attracted to one another and are progressing in the same direction. By those standards we were in love, we were comitted to each other and experienced everything that people in relationships should. It wasn't anything supernatural, there weren't fireworks, it was very normal but very enjoyable. People, girls in particular, seem to feel that love will carry with it this overwhelming feeling that will sweep them off their feet into the marrige they've always dreamed about. To me it is something that can be achieved with anyone for any amount of time. Which would explain how people get divorced after 20 years of being married. Or why people will date for so long then decide they're not happy. Relationships exist for the short time when two people are on the same page and feel the same about that given page. It is very unspectacular and not very special.

With all of that said, apart of me will always be with SH and remember her for all the good she did for me. She did a lot and contributed directly to the person I am today, for that I am thankful. It is unfortunate that we didn't work out, but like I said, I understand now that we are on different pages with different ideas of what those pages say.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Cusack said...

I always thought that "stupid" and "fucking" were assumed when the word "girl" is said.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home